Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Law school grading...arbitrariness

Law school grading is arbitrary?

The linked article provides some interesting insights, and while I'm not sure about the overture to "feminine thinking" I do agree that the one-shot essay exam is perhaps the most inadequate assessement tool I have ever seen in my ten years of education. Granted, I only taught high school, but I'm quite familiar with educational psychology, and the medieval methods employed by law schools are there for one reason; to narrow the ranks of the competition. The Law school filter bears little, if any relationship to the ability of an attorney to accomplish tasks in the field. Imagine if you will a client walking through the door.

"I am not going to tell you what my case is about except that it is going to be about civil procedure, and I will be back in fourteen weeks, at which time you will have three hours to figure out the facts that I give you. Thanks!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home